This funfetti sheet cake is everything a funfetti cake should be: moist, tender, buttery & filled with sprinkles. Say goodbye to the box mix and make this easy funfetti cake recipe instead!
If you’re looking for the perfect cake for birthdays, celebrations, or whenever you need a dessert that’s filled with sprinkles and happiness – then this funfetti sheet cake is just the thing. It’s a moist and tender vanilla cake dotted with sprinkles. Then it’s topped with vanilla buttercream and even more sprinkles for decoration.
I know most people might associate funfetti with children’s birthday parties – but no matter how old I get I’ll happily enjoy a slice of this funfetti cake for any occasion. And after tasting a piece, I think you will too.
Funfetti Cake Recipe
When researching funfetti cake recipes – I found a lot that required fancier ingredients. But I wanted to make a funfetti cake recipe that wouldn’t be much more complicated than using a box mix, but way more delicious. And that’s exactly what we’re making today.
How to Make Funfetti Cake
- In a large bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Then in a separate large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until fluffy. This step is important for getting a fluffy cake crumb.
- Mix in the vanilla and the eggs one at a time. It’s important that your eggs are room temperature here because it helps everything mix together evenly. To do this quickly, place the eggs in a bowl of warm water for 10 minutes before using them.
- Then beat in the sour cream, followed by about 1/2 of the flour mixture.
- Then mix in the milk followed by the rest of the flour.
- Last but not least – gently fold in the sprinkles. Use a large rubber spatula here to avoid the color bleeding.
- Then bake the cake for about 25-30 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
For this recipe, I definitely recommend using jimmies for your sprinkles – these are the long cylindrical ones. I don’t recommend using nonpareils (the little, tiny round ones) in the cake batter because I find they bleed color a lot more than jimmies. Obviously for decorating your cake – feel free to use whichever you prefer.
Then I frosted my cake with vanilla buttercream. It’s fluffy, it’s creamy, and it’s completely delicious. It’s made with butter, powdered sugar, a little salt, and heavy cream (or milk if that’s all you have on hand). If you like your frosting bright white, you can substitute 1/4 cup of the butter with 1/4 cup of shortening.
This funfetti sheet cake is tender, moist, filled with sprinkles, and the perfect easy cake recipe. Way better than a box mix – but still so easy to make.
For more sprinkle recipes – make sure to try these favorites:
- No Churn Birthday Cake Ice Cream
- Funfetti Cookies
- Funfetti Cupcakes
- Layered Birthday Cookie Cake